I’M OBSESSED WITH THESE! They’re light and crispy and I just remembered that I have some caramel sauce that would be SO GOOD on top. Sorry, I get distracted easily. Oh, a stack of these would also be good topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! I made them gluten and dairy free using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend and almond milk, but you could also use regular gluten-full flour and cow’s milk. The world is your oyster!
Churro Apple Slices
- Dutch Oven
- Metal Strainer
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter or coconut oil melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 medium apples cored, and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- For batter, in a medium bowl combine flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and the baking powder. Add milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract, and whisk just until smooth.
- For cinnamon-sugar coating, in a shallow dish combine the 1/2 cup sugar and the cinnamon.
- In a pot with high sides, heat 1/2 inch oil to 365°F. Using a fork, dip apple slices into batter; drain off excess batter. Place carefully in the oil. Fry apple rings, a few at a time, in hot oil 2 minutes per side or until golden brown, turning once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- While still warm, toss in cinnamon-sugar to coat generously. Serve immediately.