I LOVE THESE COOKIES. Seriously, I’m obsessed. Cinnamon and sugar is already one of my favorite flavor combos, and these cookies are BOMB AF. The texture is crispy on the outside, but still light and fluffy on the inside, just like a churro, but without all the messy frying. I’ve tried making churros and it was a pain in the a**. These cookies are easy to make and are a million times better than a churro! Also, the chili powder is technically optional but highly recommended. You can’t really taste it in the finished cookie, but it adds such an interesting depth of flavor.
- Large cookie scoop
- Baking sheet
For the cookies:
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar + ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the coating:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Beat together butter and granulated sugar until fluffy and pale yellow. Add the eggs and vanilla and continue to beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to the butter and sugar, mixing on low, until well incorporated.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Add to dough and mix quickly on low or stir in by hand. You do not want it completely incorporated.
- Combine the coating ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Scoop the dough using a large, 3 tablespoon cookie dough scoop and roll in the coating mixture before placing on the prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.