I looooved these as a kid. And by “these” I mean the Pillsbury box mix. Honestly, I don’t have anything against box mixes. They’re easy to use and reliably delicious. But since I’m a big girl and actually trying to pay attention to the things in my body, I try to stay away from ingredients I can’t pronounce. I figure butter and sugar is bad enough for me already.
The pieces for these cheesecake swirl brownies come together shockingly fast. they hardest part is getting a pretty swirl, but that’s just my perfectionist inner monster coming out. Pretty swirl or not, they’re still fudgy and delicious. I would NEVER guess that they’re gluten free, but if you’re looking for gluten-full brownies, you can also substitute the gluten free flour with regular ol’ all-purpose.
To make my brownies cannabis-infused, I substituted 3 tablespoons of cannabis butter and used 5 tablespoons of regular unsalted butter. Happy baking!
Gluten Free Cheesecake Swirl Brownies
- 9×9 baking pan
- Stand or hand mixer
- Parchment paper
- 8 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1½ cup chocolate chips semi-sweet, dark, or a combination of both
- ¼ cup natural cocoa powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour I like Bob's Red Mill
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease or line a 9×9 pan with parchment paper.
- Combine butter and chocolate chips in a small, microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir well and microwave again for another 10 seconds and then stir well again. Repeat in 10 second intervals until chocolate and butter are completely melted and well-combined.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a larger mixing bowl, beat together eggs and sugars. Then add the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Stir in the melted chocolate.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture until just combined.
For the cheesecake swirl:
- Combine cream cheese and sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until creamy.
- Stir in egg and vanilla extract until well-combined.
To assemble the brownies:
- Reserve 1/3 of the brownie batter and spread the rest of the batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Pour cheesecake over prepared brownie batter. Take your reserved brownie batter (if it has become stiff just stir it with a spoon) and drop/drizzle over cheesecake.
- Use a knife or skewer to swirl brownie batter and cheesecake together.
- Bake on 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting and serving.