This week’s special guest is my friend, Sarah Blades. Her childhood babysitter used to make her this soup and she’s loved it ever since. She didn’t know the true origins of it, but after a quick Google search, I found that it’s based on a traditional Peruvian soup called Chupe de Camarones. This is a more simplified version using basic ingredients you can find in any grocery store, but it still packs a ton of flavor. Adding cottage cheese to soup might sound odd, but it actually adds a great creamy texture!
Cannabis Chupe (Shrimp Soup)
- Stove top
- ¼-½ cup cannabis infused olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced (about 5 stalks)
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 pound russet potatoes peeled and diced into ½ inch cubes
- 1 pound frozen shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cannabis olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté, stirring often, 5-10 minutes, until softened.
- Add Italian seasoning, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato puree and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the potatoes and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque, about 3 minutes.
- Serve topped with a scoop of cottage cheese!