Why have I never browned my butter before? If you thought butter was delicious before, boy are you in for a treat. All you do is cook your butter over medium heat until it turns brown and it transforms into golden brown MAGIC.
How to brown your butter:
The whole process takes about 5-7 minutes, so just keep an eye on it and stir occasionally. It’ll bubble and foam up and sound kind of angry, but you’re on the right track! Once the foam starts to subside, check for little brown specks at the bottom of the pot. That’s it! Remove from heat and transfer into a heat safe bowl to stop the cooking process. Brown butter = good. Burnt butter = bad. Make sure you scrape out all of those little brown specks. Those are toasted milk solids which sounds kind of gross but that’s where all the flavor is! Now use it in these cookies or literally any recipe that calls for butter. It’s delicious for savory recipes too, like pasta!
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
- Baking sheet
- Stand or hand mixer
- Large cookie scoop
- Sauce pan
- 1½ cup butter unslated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Brown the butter: In a light colored skillet or saucpan, melt the butter over medium heat, whisking occasionally. Once melted, the butter will begin to foam. Keep whisking occasionally. After 5-7 minutes, the butter will begin browning, and you’ll start to notice little brown specks at the bottom of the pan. Once browned, remove from heat immediately, pour into a heat proof bowl. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cornstarch together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the brown butter and brown sugar: Using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, for the cookie dough into balls and roll into the granulated sugar. Place dough balls at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.