Red velvet cake is always a good idea, but since I’ve already done the classic red velvet cupcakes, I wanted to switch it up by make whoopie pies instead! Whoopie pies are basically cookie sandwiches with frosting in the middle. It’s like having all the goodness of a cupcake but without a cupcake wrapper slowing you done. I’ve also made a carrot cake whoopie pie which I loved, so I guess this was a natural progression. In this recipe, I added cannabis butter to the frosting which makes it easier to adjust the dosage, but you could definitely add cannabis butter to the cookie batter instead.
Cannabis Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- Baking sheet
- Stand or hand mixer
- Parchment paper
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2/3 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- red food coloring
Cream Cheese Filling
- 6 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons cannabis butter softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium-high speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy and combined. Beat in the egg high speed, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Once egg is full combined, beat in the vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- On low speed, gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Add food coloring until you reach your desired red hue. Scoop 1½ tablespoon mounds of batter onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until centers appear set. Allow to cool completely before sandwiching.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese for 1 minute on high speed until completely smooth and creamy. Beat in the butters until combined. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on medium-high speed until combined and creamy.
- Match the cookies up based on their size and shape. Spread cream cheese filling onto the flat side of one cookie and sandwich with the other. I use the same scoop I used for the cookies for a perfect cookie to filling ratio.