The double boiler method is another great way to infuse coconut oil, olive oil, and even butter. It’s much easier than doing it straight on the stove because you don’t have to worry about the temperature getting to hot. Water boils at 212F so it will never get hotter than that! Just make sure there’s always water in the pot, and you’re good to go!
Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil – Double Boiler Method
- Double boiler
- 1/4 ounce decarboxylated cannabis
- 1 cup coconut oil
- Fill the bottom pan of a double boiler with about an inch of water, and place over low heat. You want a gentle simmer, not quite a boil.
- Set the shallow pan on top, or create your own double boiler by stacking a metal or glass bowl on top of a sauce pan. Make sure the bowl fits snugly and that the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Add cannabis and coconut oil to the top pan or bowl and cook for 90 minutes.
- Stir about every 15 minutes, and check the water level in the bottom pan.
- After 90 minutes, strain your coconut oil using a piece of cheese cloth over a fine mesh sieve. Squeeze out any remaining oil by pressing with a spoon or spatula, and if it’s cool enough, by hand.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.