These are the kinds of recipes that excite me! Anyone can make butter and sugar taste good, but making healthy ingredients taste good is a true challenge! I was obsessed with my recent breakfast cookies. Even Derek liked them! So when I had another batch of brown bananas and some leftover quinoa, I knew I wanted to make something similar. It’s so convenient to grab a breakfast cookie or bar when you’re too lazy to cook or trying to run out the door. These breakfast bars are packed with protein and keep me full for hours. They’re also sweet enough to satisfy any of my late night dessert cravings. Sounds like a win-win to me!
I added dark chocolate chips to mine, but you could just as easily add chopped nuts, dried fruit, coconut, you name it. I like to keep half in the refrigerator and freeze the other half for later. Just microwave for about 30 seconds and those chocolate chips get nice and melty again. YUM.
Banana Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- 9×9 baking pan
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons almond butter other nut and seed butters will work
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup add-ins like chocolate chips, coconut, chopped dried fruit optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9×9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats, quinoa, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix bananas, egg, flax, chia seeds, nut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Stir until well-combined.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix in any optional add-ins.
- Add batter to baking dish and spread into an even layer using a silicone spatula.
- Bake for 25 mins or until edges are crisp and center is cooked through and firm.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Cut 9-12 bars or squares and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.